It is no surprise that our eyes reveal a lot about us since our eyes hold our most precious emotions. By looking at our eyes one can tell if we are happy, excited, tired or scared. We can also learn a lot about our health through our eyes. Since the eyelid skin is the thinnest skin in the body, measuring up to 0.05mm thick, it is one of the first areas in the body to show signs of aging. We believe that taking care of this delicate skin and the structures housed within it are key to maintaining the wellness of the eyes.
Here's 5 simple ways we can take care of the delicate skin around our eyes:
1. Always remove makeup with makeup remover. Do not use facial cleansers or hand soaps to remove eye makeup.
2. Do not apply makeup directly on the "water-line." This is where the lash line oil glands (meibomian glands) sit. Applying makeup directly over them will clog them, leading to irritated eyes. (check out our first blogpost to learn more).
3. Apply primer before wearing eye makeup. This prevents makeup such as eyeshadow from getting into the eye.
4. Avoid eye products that contain retinol. Although retinol slows down the signs of aging of the facial skin, it can cause meibomian gland dysfunction. From our first blogpost we learned that damaged meibomian glands leads to inflammation. Inflammation over time leads to accelerated aging.
5. Wear sunscreen daily. Wear sunglasses. Protect your eyes from the sun.
These are 5 tips to maintaining healthy eyes. By keeping the eyelid skin and oil glands healthy we can help maintain glowing timeless eyes.